Award Season Prophecies: The 71st Golden Globes 2014

It's that time of year again: Award Season! As I did last year, I'll be predicting, using very scientific prediction algorithms obviously, the outcome of some of the biggest award shows.

This is just an exercise in fun to involve myself in the razzamatazz of these big parties as I'm a bit of a film fan. I hope you will indulge me in this.

First up is the 71st Golden Globe Awards which will be awarded this Sunday (12/1/14).


I'll be using a key to indicate my choices:

  • Green for Most Likeliest Winner
  • Purple for My Personal Choice
  • Orange for Both
I don't pretend to have seen all of these films so some will be complete stabs in the dark, but it's all just a bit of fun. Let me know in the comments if you agree OR disagree!

Best Motion Picture: Drama

12 Years a Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena
Rush

Best Motion Picture: Comedy or Musical
American Hustle
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Director
Alfonso Cuarón – Gravity
Paul Greengrass – Captain Phillips
Steve McQueen – 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne – Nebraska
David O. Russell – American Hustle

Best Actor in a Drama
Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave
Idris Elba – Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Tom Hanks – Captain Phillips
Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club
Robert Redford – All Is Lost

Best Actress in a Drama
Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock – Gravity
Judi Dench – Philomena
Emma Thompson – Saving Mr. Banks
Kate Winslet – Labor Day

Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical
Christian Bale – American Hustle
Bruce Dern – Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street
Oscar Isaac – Inside Llewyn Davis
Joaquin Phoenix – Her

Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical
Amy Adams – American Hustle
Julie Delpy – Before Midnight
Greta Gerwig – Frances Ha
Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Enough Said
Meryl Streep – August: Osage County

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi – Captain Phillips
Daniel Brühl – Rush
Bradley Cooper – American Hustle
Michael Fassbender – 12 Years a Slave
Jared Leto – Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins – Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence – American Hustle
Lupita Nyong'o – 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts – August: Osage County
June Squibb – Nebraska

Best Animated Feature
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Frozen

If I get more than half of these correct I'll be very surprised! The first show, though, often sets the tone for the rest of the season, so I might get better as the season goes on (she says hopefully...). See you on the other side!


No comments on "Award Season Prophecies: The 71st Golden Globes 2014"

Leave a Reply