Film Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Cast: Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Ezra Miller, (dir.) Stephen Chbosky

Certificate: 12A (PG-13)

Rating: 10/10

Overall: Loved it. The central three characters/actors were amazing, especially Logan Lerman who should get awards for this role. I laughed, I cried, I cringed, I loved, I felt infinite.
I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Perks) back in Aug/Sept '11 (according to GoodReads) and rated it 3 stars. I think now, if I read it back I'd rate it higher but at the time, I found it rather... odd. Charlie had an almost childish, honest way of writing and I don't think I really understood what had happened to him, even after I finished.

But saying that, I still had high hopes for the film adaption. Emma Watson was going to be in it. The screenplay was written by the author, Stephen Chbosky, who also directed and produced it. All positive signs. Granted, my only worry going in was Emma Watson's accent. Would it be ok, or would it be awful and spoil the film?

Lerman, who plays Charlie, was wonderful. He absolutely nailed the quiet watchfulness of Charlie, and the struggle he has with high school, romance and his past. His earnest ways and his need to see others happy before his own happiness was just perfect. I fell in love with Charlie and my heart about stopped when he called Candace. His desperation and confusion were heart-breaking, but his innocence still shone throughout. When he stands up in the back of the truck through the tunnel at the end, I swear I felt infinite with him. All the awards for Logan Lerman!

Watson, playing Sam, was also great. The last vestiges of Hermione have been thrown off, I think. This character is so different from Hermione and was a perfect showcase for Watson to show that she is not just a one-trick pony. Her scenes with Charlie were perfect. Between the two of them, you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre. Everyone was captivated. And there probably wasn't a dry eye in the house. She played the hurt and regret and vulnerability amazingly. Her accent was pretty good too! I felt that it was actually better when she had more lines to say that in the one-liners but nothing jarred, so I was very happy for her.

Miller, as Patrick, was my favourite. Patrick was the comic relief in a way to the heavy themes throughout the film. His childish delight at finding his Secret Santa present and ripping it open was hilarious. Patrick is also the first person to befriend Charlie and just accept him, warts and all. Patrick is possibly the best thing to happen to Charlie in his life. But Patrick has as many problems as the rest of them, and the darkness can be seen rippling under the surface long before it actually breaks free, and Patrick breaks down. His hurt at being ignored by his boyfriend at school, but also at the fact that said boyfriend won't admit it was his own father that beat him up. His desperate need to do something to forget… everything. He also looked pretty great as Dr. Frank-n-Furter! ;)

I don't think I can properly verbalise how happy I am with the casting of the main three characters. They were pretty much perfect.

The other supporting characters were also great. Charlie's unexpected relationship with Mary-Elizabeth worked really well. The inevitable break up was horrendously cringe-inducing in the best way, despite the following angst.

The music, as well, was fitting. It felt like a love letter to 90's music. And Patrick and Sam's manic dancing made my day!

Basically, I can't recommend this film enough. I loved it, from opening credits to closing. I laughed, I cried and I fell in love. I already want to see it again. What more could you ask for?

No comments on "Film Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

Leave a Reply