Film Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

Cast: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Martin Sheen

Certificate: 12A (PG-13)

Rating: 8/10

Awesome. Amazing. Thrilling. Impressive. Other adjectives may apply. Andrew Garfield nailed it as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and the chemistry between him and Emma Stone just works. Great action, seamless 3D and even some emotional moments. My only fault with it was, IMO, a relatively weak bad guy.

Spoilers galore after the jump.


So first off, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were perfect in their roles, both individually and together.

Garfield is a master of teenage awkwardness, bumbling through encounters with girls, standing up to his bullies even when he wasn't the target, general nerdiness... He is also much more believable as a high schooler than Tobey Maguire ever was.

After being bitten, Garfield manages to temper the innate cockiness of a newly-minted 17 y.o. superhero with a vulnerability, making Peter Parker/Spider-Man likeable. Only a young person with newly discovered powers could throw themselves off the top of buildings or chase down criminals with weapons without any apparent fear.

The chemistry between Garfield and Stone, evidenced by their real life romance, was palpable, sizzling at times. Their real life relationship has become my new RL OTP. Also, I stand by my statement that any film that has Emma Stone in it, is immediately a great film.
Ah, you've found my one weakness! Small knives! - Spider-Man
It cracked me up with Spider-Man's sarcastic quips. The physical humour just after Parker was bitten was also hilarious. Women's tops and computer keys getting stuck to his hands, smashing things with his new strength, comically large appetite... 

Also Stan Lee's obligatory cameo was rather amusing.

The CGI and 3D effects were seamless, and in the case of the 3D, used to great effect. Claws through car roofs making you jump, and tops of buildings that felt like they were just brushing the end of your nose. It also really added to the Spidey swinging scenes through the streets of Manhattan. Actually felt like you were falling with him... breathtaking.

There were a few emotional scenes, like the death of Uncle Ben (different from the last Spiderman franchise) and the break-up scene. Definitely got a bit of a lump in the throat during these scenes.

On to the stuff I didn't like so much.

The bad guy. Rhys Ifans was fine, but the character he had to work with, to me, was just a bit... meh. I wasn't really interested in all that stuff. Not much drew me into that storyline, apart from wanting to see Spider-Man survive. I was more interested in Parker/Spider-Man's growth and development, and his relationships. I don't know whether that's because of a fault with the film/script or just me.

Bing. Omg. Peter Parker is a computer geek/nerd/clever clogs. Why in the world would he use Bing, the IE of search engines?? And who has ever seen anyone move their mouse pointer like that? So smoothly and precisely. Urgh. And this isn't the first film I've seen it in. Please, someone inform the film makers that that is not how one uses a computer.

I am willing to suspend my disbelief at the ridiculous 'science' and science practices, but the Bing thing is just ridiculous. (I am fully aware it is a product placement thing but come on... Bing?)
Exactly.
Also, this comes to mind. Replace 'fetch' with Bing.

Overall, I really loved this film. I went in with high expectations and was not disappointed. Basically, I was left wanting more, which is always a good sign. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 2013/14? Please...?

No comments on "Film Review: The Amazing Spider-Man"

Leave a Reply